|Phone||031 260 7255|
|Office Address||CS138, Second Floor, Main Tutorial Building|
- BA, Bed (Hons), Med (cum laude), DEd
- BEd – Professional Studies 110; Teaching Practice 120 (2006-2011)
- MEd – Generic research modules (2008-2014)
- PhD – Cohort supervision (2008-2014)
- NRF grant: Teachers’ Work Project (2014-2016)
- HELTASA National Commendation for Excellence in Teaching (2012)
- Distinguished Teacher’s Award (2011)
- Teaching and Learning Innovations and Quality Enhancement Grant (2010)
- Winner: Best Scholarly Engagement. Research Indaba, U of Pretoria (2009)
- Tripartite Research Collaboration Scholarship – Belgium (2009)
- Tripartite Research Collaboration Scholarship – Belgium (2008)
- Merit Award from the University of KwaZulu-Natal for excellent work (2007)
- Leap Lectureship in Education (2006 – 2008)
- Fulbright Scholarship to Michigan State University (2003 – 2004)
- Teacher education, higher education, medical education, gender, discourse analysis
- Educational research and discourses, research methodology, proposal writing skills, writing for publication
- Laura Campbell: Certain the curriculum, uncertain the context: Palliative care in context (2012)
- Sharon Bengtson: What young children say about violence in their school (2010)
- Romy Ganassi: The reading experiences of grade four children (2010)
- Devakumari Poovan: Exploring principals’ speeches: Sensitising student teachers to school contexts (2012)
- Nessa G Reddy: Exploring an orientation programme for student teachers: A discourse analysis of principals’ speeches (2012)
- Somadhanum Naidoo: Exploring orientation speeches of school principals: Inspirational invitations to student teachers (2012)
- Wade Cafun: The relationship between teachers’ conceptions of globalisation and professional learning (2012)
- Sathiaveni Duel Moodley: The influence of context on teachers’ conceptions of professional expertise (2013)
- Vanmala Poonsamy: The influence of context on novice teachers’ professional development (2013)
- Isaiah David: A social justice analysis of policies on internationalization in a higher education institution (2014)
Publications/Selected Publications (2011 – 2013):
- Campbell, L. & Amin, N. (2014). Potential benefits and challenges of traditional healers providing aspects of palliative care in rural South Africa. Rural and Remote Health. 14:2378 (online).
- Ngene, N.C., Amin N. & Moodley, J. (2014). Ruptured subcapsular hematoma of the liver due to pre-eclampsia presenting as interstitial pregnancy and the role of intra-abdominal packing. Nigerian Journal of Clinical practice. (forthcoming).
- Campbell, L. & Amin, N. (2013). Dilemmas of telling bad news: Paediatric palliative care providers’ experiences in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. South African Journal of Child Health. 7(3), 113-116.
- Amin, N. & Campbell, L. (2012). A post-structural glimpse at the World Health Organization’s palliative care discourse in rural South Africa. Journal of Rural and Remote Health, 12: 2059 (online).
- Amin, N. (2012). Excavating memories: A retrospective analysis of mathematics teachers’ foregrounds. Pythagoras, 33(2) #178, 9 pages.
- Amin, N. (2011). Critique and care in higher education assessment: From a Cartesian plain to Mobius congruity. Alternation, Vol. 18(2), 268-288.
Chapters in Books:
- Amin, N. & Vandeyar, S. (2014). Theoretical underpinnings of researching good teacher education practices: Some methodological considerations. In, S. Vandeyar (ed.). Good practice in culture rich classrooms: Research-informed perspectives. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Vandeyar, S. & Amin, N. (2014). Good practice in culture rich classrooms. In, S. Vandeyar (ed.). Good practice in culture rich classrooms: Research-informed perspectives. Cape Town: Oxford University Press.
- Amin, N. & Govinden, D. (2012). Sari stories: Fragmentary images of ‘Indian women’. In, C. Mitchell & R. Moletsane (Ed). Was it something I wore? Gender, dress and material culture in social research. (pp. 323-340) Pretoria: HSRC Press.
- Amin, N. & Govinden D. (2014). Autobiographies, biographies and writing lives. Agenda. 98(28.1), 1-4.
- Dhunpath, R., Amin, N. & Msibi, T. (2014). Re-envisioning African Higher Education: Alternative Paradigms, Emerging Trends and New Directions.
- Dhunpath, R., Nakabugo, M.G. & Amin, N. (2013). Higher education in an era of reconstruction, internationalisation, competition and cooperation. Alternation, 20(2).
- Dhunpath, R. & Nakabugo, M.G. & Amin, N. (2012). Transformational trends in higher education scholarship and curriculum. Alternation, 19(2), 1-11.